This spicy, it is a bit like a vindaloo but without any potatoes. Chunks of succulent chicken enrobed in a thick, spicy tomatoey sauce … YUM
Serves 6 (with accompaniments).
Chicken breasts – 6
Garlic – 4 cloves
Ginger – a thumb sized piece
Green birdseye chillies – 3
Onions – 3 large ones
Turmeric – 1 teaspoon
Chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
Tandoori powder – 1 teaspoon
Salt – 1½ teaspoons
Garam Masala – 2 teaspoons
Tomato purée – ½ a tube
Tomatoes – 1 punnet
Ghee – 1 teaspoon
- Place the onions, garlic, ginger and chillies in a blender and blitz to a paste.
- Heat the ghee and fry the onion paste until translucent.
- Add the chicken.
- Meanwhile, add the fresh tomatoes to the blender (don’t worry about cleaning any onion paste away), and blitz these too.
- Next, add the salt and powdered spices, stir and allow to cook for a minute or two.
- Next add the tomato purée, and allow that to cook for a minute too.
- Finally add the blitzed tomatoes from the blender, and cook until the chicken is cooked through.
- If the fresh tomatoes didn’t produce much juice then it may be a little thick, just add a drop of water until it is the consistency you desire.